Hanni asked to see a breakdown of how things were packed and what the final size of the bags were. Here are some more comprehensive pictures than the last one. First, everything I’m taking including clothes and a few additions:
From the top left:
- One navy jacket, three dress shirts — purple, orange plaid, pink/green plaid. (Hanging in back.)
- 8 pairs underwear.
- 8 pairs socks.
- DIR-855 wifi router.
- Withings wifi scale.
- Dress shoes, with two ties on top.
- Dress belt.
- Tumi watch travel case, with three watches inside.
- Vonage router.
- Four books that aren’t on the Kindle, that I’d like to read:
- The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco.
- Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman! (Adventures of a Curious Character), Richard P. Feynman.
- The Fruit, the Tree, the Serpent: Why We See So Well, Lynne A. Isbell.
- Jazzocracy: Jazz, Democracy, and the Creation of a New American Mythology, Kabir Sehgal.
- D3S camera charger, with retractable power cord.
- Beard trimmer.
- Extra Rembrandt no-SLS (canker sore) toothpaste, because it’s hard to find.
- Travel toiletries.
- Laptop stand, keyboard, mouse. (Basically this with a better mouse.) All on Logitech’s new Unify radio.
- Two jeans, shorts, bathing suit.
- Nikon D3S.
- Extra laptop charger.
- Fun sneakers.
- Two short-sleeve button downs, four long-sleeve button downs, one polo shirt.
Here is what was left over after I packed the first bag:
So I started a second bag. The hardest thing to pack was the scale, which is too big. I also decided to wear the sneakers and pack some small boots instead, since the sneakers are easier to slip on and off in the airport. Here are the two bags fully packed: (Do they look familiar?)
The only things pictured that isn’t in those two are the dress shirts and jackets, which I’m going to send separately because thy’re not urgent and didn’t want to stuff them in. All in all, including what I’m wearing, I’ll have all the tech essentials from home, about nine days worth of regular clothes with about thirty permutations, a few dress things for a wedding I’m attending (Anthony’s!) and the nicer evenings out with six permutations, three pairs of shoes: dress, leather boots, and crazy sneakers. With the jacket I’ll wear on the plane will be comfortable into the low sixties and can dress down up to the nineties. There is probably something I’ll run into that I forgot, but can always go shopping there if there’s something urgent. (But probably won’t be.)
If I had to cut, would take out the scale, wifi router, dead tree books, and Vonage. If I had no formal events could take out all the formal wear, shoes, ties, and belt.
The one thing I’m anticipating is at least one more pair of sneakers, to vary more. I’m also going to need a way to print while there, but there’ll probably be a business center or Kinko’s nearby.
My tech backpack is way more interesting and optimized, but that’s a topic for a different post. 🙂